Norwegian Army Chief: - We must prepare to fight
- We must prepare to fight, says Norway's new army chief and echoes the Swiss army chief who recently came with a similar statement
The turmoil has been brought closer, says Norway's new army chief Odin Johannessen.
He believes European countries can no longer expect to live in peace and security - without defending themselves.
- I think we must be prepared to fight, both with words, actions - and if necessary with weapons - to preserve the country and the values we have in common, said Johannessen in a speech to Oslo Military Society on Monday.
He took over as Army Chief last October and was previously head of operations for the Defence Staff in Oslo.
- The Ukraine crisis and the terror in Paris shows that Europe can no longer expect to live in peace and security, without having to defend its interests and values, said Johannessen, who spent much of his speech to emphasize the importance of well-trained and adequately equipped soldiers.
- You can not win wars without boots on the ground, he said.
In his speech he expressed concerns over that the financial allocations are not in style with approved plans.
- I can say now that it is impossible for me to reach the goals set in the current long-term plan. For us on the inside of the military system, it has been obvious for several years already, said Johannessen.
Related:Europe ''on the verge of civil war'' – Swiss army chief's urgent warning
Army, what army?