Whether crawling on eight legs along their webs or scurrying from their dens - ready to pounce and kill anything that they wish to eat - spiders can be the stuff of nightmares. Yet, even as they spin their silk to lure hapless prey, spiders hold a fascination for us as well.
Spiders as a whole give non-venomous bites, and the pain from those lasts less than an hour. However, with venomous bites the pain lasts for more than 24 hours. Spider venoms work on one of two fundamental principles: they are either neurotoxic - attacking the nervous system - or necrotic - attacking tissues surrounding the bite, and in some cases, attacking vital organs and systems.
Here we take a look at the ten most venomous spiders on earth - taking into account not just the toxicity of the venom but also the amount the spider administers and its aggressiveness as well.
List of spider species mentioned in this video (from less venomous to most venomous):
1. Brazilian wandering spider: Phoneutria nigriventer.
2. Six-eyed sand spider: Sicarius hahni.
3. Sydney funnel-web spider: Atrax robustus.
4. Black widow spider: Latrodectus mactans.
5. Redback spider: Latrodectus hasseltii.
6. Brown and Chilean recluse spiders: Loxosceles reclusa (Brown) and Loxosceles laeta (Chilean).
7. Mouse spider: Missulena occatoria.
8. Chinese bird spider: Haplopelma hainanum.
9. Fringed ornamental tarantula: Poecilotheria ornata.
10. Yellow sac spider: Cheiracanthium mildei.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Danish movie director was killed by the terrorist
''I saw the perpetrator shoot a man at close range. It resembled an ice cold liquidation, with a single shot from a machine gun''