Scandal: The Norwegian national emergency network has been operated by employees in India who had no security clearance, reports Aftenposten.
The Directorate for Emergency Communication is looking very seriously at a breach of the procedures that was discovered with an Indian subcontractor.
According to NRK, the breach resulted in that the network for some time was operated by Indian employees who lacked security clearance.
- We look at the matter seriously. This is a clear breach of the trust between the state and the provider Broadnet, says Director Tor Helge Lyngstøl of the Directorate for Emergency Communication (DNK).
In December last year the directorate received a warning from its operator Motorola about a possible deviation from defined operating procedures by a subcontractor in connection with debugging. The discrepancy was confirmed in a meeting with the supplier.
The state owns about 60 percent of the emergency network. This is operated by Motorola. About 10 percent of the lines are leased from Broadnet. The discrepancy comes from this supplier.
- We are committed to maintain national control over the emergency network, and it is worrying that one of our supplier has not operated in accordance with set procedures. The case will be followed closely also in the future, says Lyngstøl.
Broadnet has alerted the Norwegian Post and Telecommunications Authority and the National Security Authority of the incident.
As far as DNK knows, the breach has not led to errors in the emergency network. DNK recently received Broadnets report on the matter, and the case is still pending. DNK has sent follow-up questions after the report came.
- It is too early to say what consequences the concrete incident will have for our relationship with Broadnet. We need more information in order to assess whether Broadnet's measures to ensure security are good enough, says Lyngstøl.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
ABC's Jon Karl Challenges WH Over New Benghazi Email
During the April 30, 2014 White House press briefing, ABC's Jon Karl repeatedly presses White House Press Secretary Jay Carney over a newly released email from a White House senior aide discussing preparing then-UN Ambassador Susan Rice to blame the Benghazi attack on a YouTube video.