It seems yet another sunny holiday destination in a war-torn Muslim paradise is out the window for the Americans.
The Iraqi parliament's foreign affairs committee called on Sunday for a reciprocal ban on Americans coming into the country, a parliament member said, after US President Donald Trump last week signed a ban on people from seven Muslim majority countries entering the US, reports I24News.
In a statement the committee said that "Iraq is in the front line of the war on terrorism (...) and it is unfair that the Iraqis are treated in this way."
"We clearly demanded that the Iraqi government deal reciprocally in all issues... with the United States of America," Hassan Shwairid, the deputy head of the committee, told AFP.
Trump on Friday signed a sweeping executive order to suspend refugee arrivals and bar visas for travelers from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
It was not immediately clear what affect such a ban would have on US military operations in Iraq, where some 5,000 American troops have provided substantial support to the assault led by Iraqi forces on the Islamic State group, however a lawmaker who asked to remain unnamed told Reuters that it could have negative implications on cooperation.
The source said that Baghdad plans to lobby the US government over its decision and added that Baghdad will "explain that Iraq as a sovereign country will be forced to apply similar treatment, and that would affect negatively cooperation, including military cooperation."
The Iraqi announcement came a day after Iran's foreign ministry released a statement saying it would reciprocate with a ban on Americans entering the country:
READ: Iran bans Americans
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
BBC suspends Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson
The outspoken and controversial host of the BBC program ''Top Gear'', Jeremy Clarkson, is suspended.