US President Donald Trump has signed a new executive order in which he gives the defense 30 days to make a new IS strategy.
Trump asks for a "comprehensive strategy and plans for overcoming" IS, which is interpreted in the direction of more US troops and supplies to both Iraq and Syria.
Defence Secretary James Mattis will also be tasked with proposing changes in the US rules for military intervention, to remove the "requirements that go beyond international law regarding the use of force against IS."
Prior to signing the presidential order, Trump had a lengthy telephone conversation with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin. The two presidents agreed to cooperate more closely in combating IS and other extremist groups in Syria.
Putin and Trump talked for 45 minutes and agreed on "regular, personal contact".
During his campaign, Trump said that he had a secret plan to defeat ISIS quickly, and he criticized his predecessor Barack Obama for doing too little.
- We must get rid of ISIS. We have no choice. This is evil, this is a level of evil that we have not previously seen, Trump said in an interview with Sean Hannity of Fox News on Thursday.
Barack Obama's fight against IS was on longer terms with far less US military effort, but Trump is probably looking for faster results, said retired Gen. David Barno.
The United States currently has 5,000 troops in Iraq, and 50 military advisers in Syria, but also aircraft and artillery, which contribute to the fight against IS during the offensives against Mosul in Iraq and around Raqqa and Palmyra in Syria.
The executive order regarding an ISIS strategy comes just a day after Trump signed another order for a "great rebuilding" of the defense. Among other things, the US will invest in several aircraft, naval vessels and several other military resources.
- Our military strength will be questioned by no one, but neither will our dedication to peace. We want peace, said Trump.
He predicts that Congress, which has to approve the budget, will "be very pleased to see" his proposals for military spending.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Albright to become Muslim to protest Trump
Former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, claims to be "ready" to sign up as a Muslim in protest against President Trump's plans to cut off immigration from Muslim countries.