Terrified Swedes were out on the streets to protect and try to prevent their cars from going up in flames, as chaos and unrest erupted in northeastern Gothenburg Friday evening.
Chaos erupted at an address in Hammarkullen in northeastern Gothenburg after police conducted a search at the site.
- They oppose our efforts, and we can not back down, so we have sent for more police, says Johan Ljungberg.
According to the police, the raid was due to suspicion of drug offenses at the premises, but they have also burned cars in connection with the police effort.
- Now it's about serious damage, threat to officers and several burned-out cars.
Bangers and other firework-like objects were thrown at police - and later in the evening the large group of youths created chaotic scenes in Hammarkullen. At eight o'clock the situation calmed down, so that the police could carry out the search without any major disturbances.
But shortly thereafter, new unrest broke out.
At 20:15 there came an alarm that a vehicle was on fire in a garage, and soon after the police got reports of more car fires in the area.
A witness at the site tells about the dramatic scenes in the residential area:
- As soon as the police left it started to burn again. It has been very threatening here.
The witness told that there was a chaotic situation in the district ,and that additional bangers were thrown at police officers on the site.
- There are at least 15 police cars here now, but the police seem to act cautious, the witness told GP.
At ten o'clock, the police still had about a dozen units and 20's policemen on the spot:
- It's tense out there, we're talking about 50-60 young people, and residents in the area who are out because they do not want their cars to burn. At the same time it is quiet and no riots. But there are tensions between the police and these young people, who are still throwing "bangers" at the police, says Johan Ljungberg, duty police officer.
"Terrible for residents in the area"
According to police, no one has been detained.
- We will do the things we're doing there, when it is finished we'll see what measures we'll take. But no one is in custody as far as I know. That said, there have been cars burning and it is still tense, it must be terrible for the residents in the area. But police and firefighters are in place, says Johan Ljungberg.
First around midnight, the situation began to feel so stable that the emergency services were called back.
- Now we have not had any fires since nine o'clock, so it feels quite peacefully, says Anders Gårdh Agen, chief of staff of the Rescue Service in Greater Gothenburg to GP.se at midnight.
However, the police efforts after the unrest in northeastern Gothenburg will continue throughout the night.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus