SWEDEN -- This week the Centre Party in Kalmar, started a school for politicians - in Arabic. In social media the news is receiving both criticism and a lot of hateful comments, reports SVT.
Among other that the course is in Arabic is questioned by the Sweden Democrat's (SD) Mattias Karlsson, who argues that newcomers should learn Swedish before they learn to become politicians.
The storm of protest was not something that those responsible were prepared for.
- We did not expect the storm (of criticism). We just wanted to spread the news of the school. I think it is important to see that one can influence in Sweden. That it is a good way to show that we have a democracy in Sweden that we are proud of, says Karin Helmersson, of the Centre Party in Kalmar County.
What is it that provokes you think?
- That the training is in another language, and that we want to provide information for people to feel welcome.
A dozen students were present at the first lecture on Tuesday night. Wafaa Alshehadeh, who came from Syria for more than a year ago, is one of them.
- I came here to learn how politics works in Sweden, it is important for us who have moved to Sweden. We are not visitors, but become part of the Swedish society. Then it is important to understand how politics works here, she says.
Do not understand the criticism
Jaafar Al-Jabiri is the course leader. He believes that the school for politicians is important from the standpoint of integration.
- Instead of exclusion, they want to come here to participate in society and become an active part of society, says Jaafar Al-Jabiri.
He finds it hard to understand the criticism directed at the education.
- Everything that promote integration and prevent exclusion is good, whether it is from the Centre Party or from another party. So I find it very difficult to see anything negatively of this initiative, he says.
What do you think? Is it good integration to teach immigrant how to become future Swedish politicians even before they can speak Swedish?
Best guess is that the 'Trump effect' will hit Sweden so hard in 2018, that SD's landslide will be mother of all landslides.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
VIDEO: Migrants celebrate NYE in Berlin - with guns blazing
War-like television pictures from New Year's Eve celebrations in Berlin now spread on social media.