Chancellor Angela Merkel sought to reassure Germans that the state will keep them safe as she pledged all resources to get to the bottom of the rampage in Munich that left 10 people dead and more than 20 wounded in an attack by a 18 year old Muslim man who shouted "Allahu Akbar" before killing mainly children.
Speaking after an emergency meeting of her security cabinet on Saturday, Merkel said that “we are all grieving” after the “night of horror” in the Bavarian capital. She said Germans can draw strength from both the wave of help offered by the people of Munich to those fleeing the killer and the international expressions of solidarity.
“We will find what exactly was behind this act,” Merkel told reporters in the Chancellery in Berlin after being briefed on the latest situation.
“The state and its security forces will continue to do everything to protect the security and freedom of everybody in Germany.”
Merkel has come under intense pressure over her open-doors refugee policy that resulted in about a million people claiming asylum in Germany last year, the vast majority arriving in Bavaria. Police stressed that there was no evidence of any connection between the Munich killings and last year's refugees crisis, or any link to the terrorist group ISIS.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Man stopped with three large suitcases full of khat
Customs and police at Oslo airport, Gardermoen, this week stopped a man who was carrying a little extra in his luggage.