The trend is clear. The younger you are, the more likely it is that you voted for Britain to stay in the EU. 73 percent of those aged 18-24 wanted to remain, compared to only 44 percent of those aged 44-54 years.
- Children and young people do not learn only facts in school. They are learned values. The message to younger generations of postwar Europe has focused on enrichment of cultural diversity and the dangers of nationalism, chauvinism and racism. In social studies lessons EU has been talked about as a peace project, says Helge Lurås to Aftenposten.
- Young people are exposed to "indoctrination." One might argue that it is the best and necessary for a civilized society, but systematic influence is there nonetheless, says Helge Lurås, who is chairman of the center for international and strategic analysis (SISA).
- In the first period after you finish school and is educated, you believe strongly in what you have been told. But then the illusions decrease eventually. Not at least one experiences that the praised words are largely empty, he says.
- There are two different ways of seeing discrepancies in the British voting preferences between the young and elderly. Either the young understood something that the elderly are not able to see. Or they are young and so inexperienced and naive that they have not yet realized what one would progressively experience when one gets older - that ideals and realities are not the same.
- Illusions decrease as one gets older, says Lurås.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Participated in movie about successful integration - turned terrorist
He was once a poster boy for successful integration. In April 2016, he was arrested in Brussels, suspected of being involved in the terrorist attacks in the city, which he has admitted to in interrogations.