A media outlet associated with Islamic State on Tuesday released a eulogy for "Jihadi John," a member of the militant terrorist group who gained notoriety for his filmed execution of hostages, the monitoring organization SITE reported.
The militant was identified as Mohammed Emwazi, a British citizen of Arab origin.
The U.S. military said in November it was "reasonably certain" it had killed him in a drone strike.
Emwazi was described in Islamic State's Dabiq magazine by his nickname "Abu Muharib al-Muhajir."
"On Thursday, the 29th of Muharram, 1437 (Nov. 12, 2015), Ab Muhrib finally achieved shahdah (martyrdom) for the cause of Allah, which he had sought for so long, as the car he was in was targeted in a strike by an unmanned drone in the city of Raqqah, destroying the car and killing him instantly," Dabiq said.
Emwazi first emerged in August 2014 when he appeared masked in a video in which US journalist James Foley was apparently murdered.
Dubbed "Jihadi John" by the media, he was identified as Emwazi, a computer programming graduate who grew up in London, in February 2015.
He also appeared in videos of the beheadings of US journalist Steven Sotloff, Mr Haines, Mr Henning, as well as American aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig, also known as Peter, and Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.
He became a top target for US and British intelligence agencies, even though he is thought to have played no military role within IS.
At the time of his reported death in November, Prime Minister David Cameron said targeting Emwazi had been "the right thing to do".
He said the UK had been working with its US allies "literally around the clock" to track Emwazi down, the BBC reports.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Sexually abused 68 Swedish girls - sentenced to prison
Today came the verdict in Sweden's largest case involving sexual offenses against children on the Internet, known as grooming. A 29-year-old man from the Middle East was sentenced to imprisonment for 63 cases of grave sexual violence.