The official New Year's Eve celebration and the city's fireworks are now canceled in Brussels. This is due to a terrorist threat against the city, says the mayor of Brussels, Yvan Mayeur.
He announced the decision on state television, reports Reuters:
- Together with the Internal Minister, I have decided not to have celebrations Thursday evening.
Two arrested Tuesday
The decision comes just a day after two people were arrested in the country. The two are suspected of wanting to carry out a terrorist attack in Brussels precisely on New Year's Eve.
According to the news outlet Le Soir, the cancellation is due to the threat of terrorism in general, because one can not check all people located in the city center.
- We are forced to cancel because we take into account the risk assessment carried out by the crisis center, said the mayor.
100,000 people attended the celebrations in Brussels last year, which must now be held privately.
Six people detained
The arrests Monday came during an extensive police operation in various Belgian cities. Initially, six persons were detained, but four of the subjects were released again.
So far, the two arrested are suspected of planning terrorism against the Belgian capital.
According to several media, military uniforms and propaganda for the terrorist organization Islamic State were found but no weapons.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Another eruption from the Calbuco volcano in Chile
The Chilean Calbuco volcano, which had two powerful eruptions last week, on Thursday erupted again.