- IS has attacked a vital French interest, the population, those nuclear weapons are created to protect, says Lars Wedin to the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet.
Wedin is a former naval officer and is currently the research director at the Institut Français d'Analyse strategique in Paris.
Wedin believes the French President François Hollande must respond after the IS attacks in Paris. Hollande has said that the country is at war.
- Everyone knows that this is not enough. One can punish IS with airstrikes, but you can not win a war alone in this way. This may lead to the use of nuclear weapons, says Wedin to Aftonbladet.
He sees arguments both for and against use of nuclear weapons.
- Most object to using nuclear weapons, but it is a possibility. Nuclear weapons currently accounts for 20 percent of the French Armed Forces budget. The country is at war. I do not see it as unlikely that France uses nuclear weapons against IS, says Wedin.
- It is convenient to use nuclear weapons against a terrorist organization, because there is no clear physical targets. It would in case of underground bunkers where IS leaders are residing or large training camps. You can not use it against civilian targets if one does not want the entire Middle East as enemies, Wedin warns.
Director and Founder of the French Institute for Analysis (IFAs), Francois Gere, has been asked by the French government to analyze the country's possibilities for counterattacks.
- France is at war and will fight back. All possibilities are analyzed, including a nuclear attack, says Gere, according to Dagens Industri.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
Trump - Trumpet: Did Nostradamus predict WW3?
According to Nostradamus' prophecies, a devastating 27-year-long war will break out between the world's two great superpowers.