Farmer James Bristle made a rare discovery as he worked in his field in Washtenaw Countys Lima Township in the US state of Michigan.
The farmer found what he thought was an old fence post in the field, but it turned out to be something completely different.
Instead of an old fence post, it proved to be one of the ribs of a mammoth.
The animal, who died somewhere between 11 to 15 thousand years ago, according to mlive.com, has been hunted and killed by humans, and is a rare find.
- We quickly knew that this was something out of the ordinary, says Bristle.
When David Fisher from the University in Michigan arrived at the property, he said most of the discoveries made in this area are of mastodons, and that mammoths are far rarer.
- We get calls a few times a year on such discoveries, he said.
He and several colleagues dug out the mammoth fossil so that it can be preserved and studied. He also says that this mammoth skeleton is special as it is so complete.
- We will not just jerk the legs out of the ground. We want to find out more about this individual and why it ended up right here. We can do this through careful excavation, he said.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
- Only one kind of bracelets will help against assaults
- What kind of society have they created for us, where women, girls, young girls and children can not stay in public places without the risk of being subjected to sexual abuse?