Fabricio Werdum shocked the MMA world and secured the UFC heavyweight belt when he defeated Cain Velasquez in Mexico City on Saturday night.
Brazilian Werdum was well prepared for the fight that was fought 2240 meters above sea level and spent over a month in the high altitude before the game.
That could have been a decisive factor. Velasquez, who did most of the preparation at sea level in California, early looked to struggle more than usual.
- We've never seen Cain Velasquez as this before. He is shaky, said commentator Joe Rogan underway.
- I've been here for 30-40 days because the height here is very tough, and I had a good strategy. I had a big dream, and I got it fulfilled today, said Werdum to Joe Rogan after the victory.
American Velasquez, who has roots in Mexico, apologized to the home crowd after the defeat was a fact.
- I apologize to everyone who came here. I was not at my best tonight, but this is just motivation for me to get better. I'll come back and win the belt again, he said.
Asked how much the altitude had to say for how the game evolved, Velasquez said the following:
- It may have been a combination. I was here for two weeks before the fight, but I guess it was not enough.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus
- Russia is using warships to attack ISIS
The Russian Defence Minister, Sergei Shoigu, says that they now use warships to attack IS in Syria.