Several people have died and a child has been taken to hospital with life threatening injuries after a car exploded in Torslanda in Göteborg, Sweden.
Police suspect violations of the Act on flammable and explosive goods.
No one is yet arrested.
The accident at the roundabout near Torslanda fire station occurred at 17:30 pm on Friday. A loud bang was heard and a car was seen to explode, according to several witness statements.
- The car exploded which several witnesses have seen, says lead operator at SOS Alarm.
In total there are four or five people involved in the accident. All have been in the car, police said.
According to rescue service, several people have died. How many is unclear.
A child is brought to the Östra Hospital in Gothenburg.
- The child's state is life-threatening, said Robert Sjölund at the hospital's press office.
Janne Wolltin came driving towards the roundabout at the very moment when he heard an explosion.
- The roof, or whatever it was, a piece of metal certainly flew ten meters up in the air. It was such a loud bang. There flew auto parts everywhere, he says.
He saw a scene that he describes as "terrible".
- I was shaky in the legs and felt sick afterwards.
Soon afterwards the emergency services arrived in full strength.
- The fire station is located just next door so they heard the bang. They asked people to disperse, says Janne Wolltin.
Elin Åkvist passed the accident site at 18:30 o'clock.
- The car is in shambles. There has been a real explosion. All around there are lots of car parts, they look more or less like coals, she says.
The accident site is blocked. Police technicians are now examining the car.
- There are major traffic disruptions on the site. Police technicians have been sent to investigate the car. This is what we always do when we do not know what caused the accident, says Ulla Brehm, police spokesperson.
According to firefighters that Speisa has talked to, there is no doubt that this is a bomb that went off, premature, and they rule out that gasoline could have caused the damage seen in photos from the scene. Some believe that the fire station most likely was the target, and that a larger attack was planned later. Without the fire station being able to respond, everything would burn for a long time. But they empathize that the latter is speculations.
DON'T MISS A POST - FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!
Comments at Speisa are unmoderated. We do believe in free speech, but posts using foul language, as well as abusive, hateful, libelous and genocidal posts, will be deleted if seen. However, if a comment remains on the site, it in no way constitutes an endorsement by Speisa of the sentiments contained therein.comments powered by Disqus